[tbot] How to debug acquire_linux

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Fri Nov 23 09:31:10 UTC 2018

Hello Wolfgang,

Am 23.11.2018 um 10:08 schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
> Hallo Harald,
>
> In message <1542962899.2564.5.camel at denx.de> you wrote:
>>
>>> The second not working case seems if the board prints some data on the
>>> console after the login propt is sent. This is the case when a daemon
>>> has the stdout set to the console. Also in this case, it seems that tbot
>>> gets confused.
>>
>> Yes, this is an open issue:
>>
>> 	https://github.com/Rahix/tbot/issues/1
>>
>> I don't know how we best handle this case ... Do you have any ideas?
>
> Hm... why does tbot not recognise the prompt even if it is embedded
> in other output?  Strict anchoring to something like "^<prompt>$"
> seems a bit restrictive to me...

And here the problems begin ... in linux, we are fine, as we have
defined an unique prompt ... but in U-Boot you may have "=> " for a lot
of boards ... and "=> " can occur in for example testing memory dumps...

Can we be sure linux prompt is never disturbed by other output ?

> Alternatively, one could try to trigger a reprinting of the prompt by
> sending a newline (or, depending on contect, maybe a ^D) character?

Yep, thats the reason why you saw last year on the embedded some Ctrl-C
characters in old tbot demo ... you remember?

> I. e., if no prompot is recognized after the expected timeout,
> instead of hard failing, try sending a newline and check again?

no newline please, as if you are in U-Boot, may a previous command
gets started again. I vote for Ctrl-C. This can be sended safely in
U-Boot and Linux.

Yes I vote for adding such a feature.

bye,
Heiko