[tbot] How to debug acquire_linux

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Fri Nov 23 12:04:18 UTC 2018

On 23/11/18 12:32, Harald Seiler wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-11-22 at 19:24 +0100, Stefano Babic wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a board that cannot be got in linux. It looks like that
>> tbot.acquire_linux() hangs forever (can I set a tiimeout ?)
>>
>> I ran a testcase that works fine for another board - I guess that the
>> issue is due to the fact that this board has a lot of output in part
>> caused by systemd and in part due to kernel messages that are printed to
>> the console. When I start the testcase, tbot remains in <board>-linux. I
>> can understand that board is up and works because software activates
>> some relays, but it is not recognized by tbot.
>>
>> The weird thing is that "interactive_linux" works.
>
> I overlooked this previously ... `interactive_linux` works?  That's not
> possible, it uses the *exact same* code-path ... Is this a consistent
> observation?

That is was puzzle me. It worked - anyway, if I run 10 times the test
with login_wait=1 (or 2) as I had at the beginning, at least once
worked. So it seems there is a race, maybe because the shell (bash)
takes more time as you supposed.

After I put login_wait=10, it works flawlessly.

>> How can I debug this?
>
> I pushed changes to the development branch that allow deeper introspection by showing
> all data sent and received ...

Ok, I have installed it and I ran again with -vvv and login_wait=1. It
hangs as before (at least, it is reproducible). I see some kernel
messages, but at a previous point during booting. But last entries are:

│   ├─'GTU-'
│   ├─'0 login: '
│   │    <> GTU-0 login: root
│   ├─'root\n\x1b7\x1b[r\x1b[999;999H\x1b[6n'
│   ├─'\x1b8'
│   ├─'root at GTU-0:~# '

and now tbot hangs forever.

When I run with login_wait=5, it works and it reports:

│   ├─'GTU-0 logi'
│   ├─'n: '
│   │    <> GTU-0 logilogin: root
│   ├─'root\n\x1b7\x1b[r\x1b[999;999H\x1b[6n[   14.801206] socfpga-dwmac
ff700000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control
rx/tx\n[   14.810014] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes
ready\nroot at GTU-0:~# '
│   ├─'\n'
│   ├─'root at G'
│   ├─'TU-0:~# PROMPT_CO'