[tbot] [Discussion] Calling tbot from within the source directory

Claudius Heine ch at denx.de
Thu Nov 29 09:20:43 UTC 2018

Hi Harald,

Quoting Harald Seiler (2018-11-29 10:01:34)
> > > then you could use the current working directory in your testcases, so
> > > you would not need an additional parameter or environment variable to
> > > point the the source-tree if you want to avoid having the path to it
> > > inside the testcases.
> > >
> > > I hope I made myself understandable, but I basically I would like to
> > > kill multiple birds with one stone:
> > >
> > >  1. Make calling tbot from outside the tbot configuration directory
> > >  easier.
> > >  2. Make it possible to use cwd inside testcases to point to the
> > >  source-tree -> make it easier to reuse/share testcases because they
> > >  would not need to contain the path to the source tree anymore.
> >
> > I can just imagine that you need, but if you could draft a simple real
> > testcase here, it is easier to understand the reasons.
>
> I think I can see what Claudius is on about here.  The thing is, you
> shouldn't use `cwd` in your testcases, because it doesn't honor the specified
> lab.  Instead you should use `lh.workdir`, which is a proper tbot path
> and it's value should be defined in the lab-config.

Ok, I think I get you here. You cannot do that, since the source/build
products might be somewhere else, not on the machine running tbot.

But I would also argue that the path to a specific project is not a lab
or testcase configuration. It should be part of the user and project specific one.

So I think I currently don't know enough about tbot to know where to
best put this kind of configuration. Maybe we have to implement some
sort of configuration file support in tbot then.

Claudius

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-54 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: ch at denx.de

           PGP key: 6FF2 E59F 00C6 BC28 31D8 64C1 1173 CB19 9808 B153
                             Keyserver: hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net