[tbot] Question regarding BBB (beagle bone black) tbot deployment

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Mon Jan 14 15:04:56 UTC 2019

Hi Harald,

> Hello Lukasz,
>
> On Mon, 2019-01-14 at 15:39 +0100, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> > Hi Heiko,

> > > Hmm.. isn;t the BBB a yocto reference board which should work out
> > > of the box?
> >
> > Yes. BBB is a yocto/OE reference board and has meta-yocto-bsp
> > support.
> >
> > The above is one reason - the second reason for using it is no
> > running parts on it (silence :-) ).
> >
> > > I have here a BBB board, but did for some times no real tests,
> > > but saw in my old tbot config files (beside using meta-xenomai
> > > from Marek) no other meta layer used than "meta-openembedded"
> >
> > I read your manual for old tbot:
> > https://www.tbot.tools/bbb_guide.html
> >
> > As fair as I can see it uses python 2.7.
> >
> > Unfortunately, new one https://rahix.de/tbot/install.html [*]
> >
> > relies on python3. At lease on my setup, I do need pathlib and
> > ntpath modules.
> >

> New tbot requires python 3.6+.  I use a lot of features introduced
> in 3.6 which means that I can't support older versions.

Ach.... I do see.

I think that BIG FAT note in the installation page that python 3.6+ is
required would be helpful here (maybe I'm a bit old-fashion, but I only
distinct two python versions - 2.x and 3.x :-) ).

> > BTW: What is the "blessed" version of python3?
> >
> > The "thud" provides:
> > Python 3.5.6 (default, Jan 12 2019, 22:41:06)
> > [GCC 8.2.0] on linux
> >
> > When I do install paramiko via pip3 (as advised in [*]), I do see
> > following error:
> >
> > root at beaglebone-yocto:~/tbot# python3 setup.py install --user
> > random: python3: uninitialized urandom read (24 bytes read)
> >   File "setup.py", line 8
> >     about: typing.Dict[str, str] = {}
> >          ^
> > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> >

> Yes, this fails because type-annotations (what you are seeing in that
> error message) were introduced in python 3.6 while you try to run the
> code on 3.5.  That won't be possible, I'm afraid ...

Ok.

Just one note - debian9 (stable) only supports 3.5.x python, so we are
a bit cutting edge with tbot now...

> > Any help?
> >
> > (I'm also now testing the "stock" debian 9 image from beaglebone.org
> > webpage).
>
> I am not quite sure what you are trying to do.  Do you intend to run
> tbot *on* the BBB?

I do want to use BBB as a manager of the tbot "LAB" - in a sense as
Heiko did in the past.

The setup would be as follows:

- IP power cord
- IMX6Q DUT
- 24V power supply

- BBB (it would control the power strip - via eth and it I would
  have the serial <-> usb converter connected to DUT). It would be
  responsible for "local" management. I would have a separate build
  machine (with Jenkins or buildbot) to provide u-boot/kernel.

  Why BBB? Small, cheap, silent.

> Is your plan to use the BBB as a kind of CI
> runner?

Yes, it will execute the tests (maybe with buildbot visualization - if
possible)

Or is there any better way to visualise results from local run of tests?
(And on the beginning I would like to test if u-boot is build and runs
on the board as well as kernel boots till prompt).

> > > Also I had a fix sometime ago for the BBB console, see:
> > >
> > > http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=81e48b24dd9c97a3bdda3b4140f8e2bda29d24da
> > >
> > > bye,
> > > Heiko
> >
> > Best regards,