[tbot] Question regarding BBB (beagle bone black) tbot deployment

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Tue Jan 15 09:56:51 UTC 2019

Hi Stefano,

> Hallo Heiko, Lukasz,
>
> On 15/01/19 08:56, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> > Hello Lukasz,
> >
> > Am 14.01.2019 um 16:04 schrieb Lukasz Majewski:
> >> Hi Harald,

> >> Ach.... I do see.
> >>
> >> I think that BIG FAT note in the installation page that python
> >> 3.6+ is required would be helpful here (maybe I'm a bit
> >> old-fashion, but I only distinct two python versions - 2.x and
> >> 3.x :-) ).

> >> Ok.
> >>
> >> Just one note - debian9 (stable) only supports 3.5.x python, so we
> >> are a bit cutting edge with tbot now...

> >> I do want to use BBB as a manager of the tbot "LAB" - in a sense as
> >> Heiko did in the past.
> >
> > I ran/run tbot (also the new one) on raspberry pi not on BBB!
> >
> > I used the BBB for testing yocto and xenomai builds on the BBB !
> >
> >> The setup would be as follows:
> >>
> >> - IP power cord
> >> - IMX6Q DUT
> >> - 24V power supply
> >>
> >> - BBB (it would control the power strip - via eth and it I would
> >>    have the serial <-> usb converter connected to DUT). It would be
> >>    responsible for "local" management. I would have a separate
> >> build machine (with Jenkins or buildbot) to provide
> >> u-boot/kernel.
> >
> > Sounds standard tasks, I see no problems.
> >
> >>    Why BBB? Small, cheap, silent.
> >
> > As I use the raspberry pi ;-)
>
> I feel Lukasz' intention was quite different, that is, is it possible
> to build a "tbot-to-go" on OE basis, and then to be HW independent
> (BBB instead of Raspi) ?

I wanted to confine all the packages into meta-tbot(-bbb) to have it
easily deployable with our BSP.

> tbot on RPI is using Raspbian and it is not so flexible if we want to
> extend functionalities. That would require to build ourself debian
> packages, and their dependencies increase at the end the effort. For
> exampole, I put OpenOCD on it (but OE based).
>
> I have checked with old tbot if it is possible to build on OE. Some
> hints:
>
> - Python in OE (master) is still 3.5.6

This is the biggest show stopper - the 3.6.x is not yet available in OE.

> - there is not a paramiko recipe

It is available in meta-iot-intel  (2.4.1 - not 2.4.2).

> - probably busybox is not enough
> - there is not support for python-serial and friends

Installing python packages is a different story. They are simply
scattered around.

> - several python modules were missing, but things are pretty better
> now.
>
> A OE based system can be easier safe updated (guess how...), and IMHO
> a BBB / RPI3 (or something else) is becoming a ready to use product
> (as debugger / CI HW tool).

I need a small board which is not making a lot of noise. As I do have
an IP power Strip I just need ETH and connect usb hub to BBB's port.

The workaround I've found is to install from beagleboard.org the debian
9.5 and "upgrade" it to "buster" version. It takes considerable time,
but provides python 3.7.x and tbot seems to work.

Also, as it is on the SD card I can dump it (compress) and easily share
it with customer if needed.

> Anyway, there is some work to do - IMHO support for document
> generation is also an important step and should be available in tbot
> as it was in the old one.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefano

> >> Yes, it will execute the tests (maybe with buildbot visualization
> >> - if possible)
> >>
> >> Or is there any better way to visualise results from local run of
> >> tests? (And on the beginning I would like to test if u-boot is
> >> build and runs on the board as well as kernel boots till prompt).

> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Lukasz Majewski
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang
> >> Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell,
> >> Germany Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email:
> >> lukma at denx.de

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma at denx.de