[U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] [U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2019.07-rc4 released

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sat Jun 22 14:55:30 UTC 2019

Hi Tom,

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 02:33, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> It's release day and here is v2019.07-rc4.   At this point, I know we
> have some regression fixes for i.MX that are coming, and I'm expecting a
> fix to the build time failure for tinker-rk3288.
>
> To repeat myself about DM migration deadlines, first, let me say again,
> that DM is not required for SPL.  This comes up enough that I want to
> say it again here.  Next, if there is active progress on converting
> things, we'll keep from pulling the code out.  This is why for example,
> we haven't yet pulled out a lot of deprecated SPI code.  Some of it is
> still in progress on being converted, so I need to update the series I
> posted after the last -rc to remove still less drivers.
>
> In terms of a changelog,
> git log --merges v2019.07-rc3..v2019.07-rc4
> continues to improve in quality.  If you're sending me a PR, please
> include a few lines or words in summary and I'll be sure to put it into
> the merge commit.
>
> As I mentioned with -rc3, with this cycle is coming closer to an end,
> it's time to decide if we're going to keep this 3 month cycle or go back
> to 2 months.  After the last release while I did get some feedback, the
> overall balance is still in the 3 month bucket.

I vote for 2 months. I find the current release disappears into a
black hole for a about a month, and patches sit on the list for what
seems like eternity. I have the option of doing a -next branch but it
seems that very few do this.

I'd like to better understand the benefits of the 3-month timeline.

Regards,
Simon