[U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] [U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2019.07-rc4 released

Andreas Färber afaerber at suse.de
Sat Jun 22 15:10:20 UTC 2019

Hi Simon,

Am 22.06.19 um 16:55 schrieb Simon Glass:
> I'd like to better understand the benefits of the 3-month timeline.

It takes time to learn about a release, package and build it, test it on
various hardware, investigate and report errors, wait for feedback and
fixes, rinse and repeat with the next -rc. Many people don't do this as
their main job.

If we shorten the release cycle, newer boards will get out faster (which
is good) but the overall quality of boards not actively worked on
(because they were working good enough before) will decay, which is bad.
The only way to counteract that would be to automatically test on real
hardware rather than just building, and doing that for all these masses
of boards seems unrealistic.

Regards,
Andreas

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)