[U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] Please pull u-boot-fdt

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sun Nov 17 15:46:42 UTC 2019

Hi Bin,

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 at 07:07, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 7:12 AM Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 05:23:51AM -0700, Simon Glass wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Tom,
> > >
> > > Passing run here:
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-dm/pipelines/1210
> > >

> > > The following changes since commit 73b6e6ad254b36763419cdd3fdf406c0094517b7:
> > >
> > >   Merge tag 'u-boot-imx-20191104' of
> > > https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-imx (2019-11-04
> > > 12:57:41 -0500)
> > >
> > > are available in the Git repository at:
> > >
> > >   git://git.denx.de/u-boot-fdt.git tags/fdt-pull-5nov19
> > >
> > > for you to fetch changes up to 388560134b99dc4cc752627d3a7e9f8c8c2a89a7:
> > >
> > >   binman: Move to use Python 3 (2019-11-04 18:15:32 -0700)
> > >

> > Now first,
> > Applied to u-boot/master, thanks!
> >
> > And second, which is why I've included the board maintainers list and
> > custodian lists, this causes a bit of size growth everywhere just about
> > (tbs2910 being the exception) because by default upstream now has
> > various input validation routines.  It doesn't catch "tell the hardware
> > to overvolt something" but does catch "pass garbage in the property so
> > we can overwrite the stack and ..." type problems.  And it's
> > configurable.  If you turn off all of the validation stuff, which we do
> > in SPL/TPL by default (size concerns!), in the main U-Boot we go from a
> > size growth to a size shrink.  An arbitrary PowerPC board I picked to
> > confirm this on grows by 985 bytes now, but if I turned everything off
> > it would shrink by 1100 bytes.  There's an inbetween setting that would
> > probably result in neutral size change.
> >
> > The default is all of the input validation we can do because I believe
> > it's important to validate inputs when we can validate them.  I also
> > firmly believe board maintainers know their requirements best and can
> > provide a different value for their board(s).
>
> I found the following commits breaks SiFive FU540 board, that U-Boot
> no longer boots:
>
> commit f0921f5098d8d98ac38121837aaf7c4b4cb13bb4
> Author: Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org>
> Date:   Sun Oct 27 09:47:42 2019 -0600
>
>     fdt: Sync up to the latest libfdt
>
> Reverting this commit makes U-Boot boot again.
>
> The failure is serial_find_console_or_panic() no longer finds the
> serial port with the latest libfdt. Any ideas?

I wonder if it is relying on a feature that never made it upstream?

There was a change to fdt_path_next_separator() which got dropped -
perhaps that is it? I had assumed it was incorporated but perhaps no
action was taken? If so, the thread is here:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/462756/

Regards,
Simon