[U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] [U-Boot] [U-Boot-Custodians] [RFC] Eliminate boards not using CONFIG_DM=y

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Nov 28 16:51:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 10:40:38AM +0100, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 11/28/19 7:22 AM, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:

> >> Currently I have zero time available. Maybe someone else can look into
> >> this option?
> >
> > Dear Marex,
> >
> > DM drivers make use of the DM infrastructure for instance for the
> > allocation of the private data area. The uclass files often include
> > common logic needed for accessing all drivers (see for example tpm_xfer()).
> >
> > So which drivers do you think of that could be simplified?
>
> UART for example ? You only usually have one.
>
> > I would also be interested to learn which of the 347 boards not using
> > CONFIG_DM=y are still actively maintained.
>
> Probably quite a few of those iMX, omap and PPC ones.
> The qemu ones are probably used for CI ?

I need to reply more directly to the opening post but yes, i.MX is still
for various reasons needing help, and no, shouldn't be dropped, but we
need to have a serious conversation about it.  The OMAP platforms
probably could be dropped or need a quick conversion.  PowerPC is
another place where we need a serious conversation.  MIPS I think just
needs some updating for conversion, along with the vexpress ones we also
use in CI via QEMU.

--
Tom