[ANN] U-Boot v2022.01-rc3 released

Jesse Taube mr.bossman075 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 18:34:08 CEST 2022

On 7/6/22 10:47, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2022 at 10:31:41AM -0400, Jesse Taube wrote:

>>> It sounds like you have enough details here to file a bug with Debian
>>> and see where that leads.
>>>
>> Sorry for replying to old messages but the bug has appeared again in a
>> separate case the bug seems to be introduced in
>> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=d3e52e120b68bf19552743fbc078e0a759f48cb7
>>
>> The test code is as follows
>> ```
>> .syntax unified
>>
>> .global bug;
>>
>> .align 4
>>
>> bug:
>>
>>          adr     r3, bug
>>
>> .size bug, .-bug
>>
>> .type bug 2; // This changes offset from 4 to 3 in
>> include/linux/linkage.h:ENDPROC
>> //arm-linux-gnueabi-as  -march=armv7-m -c -o bug.o bug.S &&
>> arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump --disassemble=bug bug.o
>> ```
>> Releases >2.37 have this issue and causes some arm platforms in u-boot at
>> /arch/arm/lib/relocate.S:81	adr	r3, relocate_code
>>
>> I'm wondering if there should be a mitigation for this till binutils is
>> patched.
>
> Thanks for being persistent on this.  What would a mitigation look like?

Other people have suggested to use `subw r3, pc, #4` and ifdef for
different variants. We could also do `adr.w`, what do you recommend.
Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with arm asm so I was just putting
it out there because many here know more. I'll continue to look into
fixes for u-boot. And look into fixes for binutils as 2.37 is now in
buildroot and other tool and distros. I'm not sure if line 81 is the
only one that is affected but if it is then its a much easier fix than
every adr instruction.

Thanks,
Jesse