[ANN] U-Boot v2023.01 released

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Jan 9 17:08:19 CET 2023

Hey all,

It's release day and so here's v2023.01. I want to note now that once I
merge in the next branch, there'll have been some pretty big changes
merged in, mainly that CONFIG -> Kconfig migration will finally be
largely done (there's some corner case symbols I'm tracking down next,
but they weren't enabled normally anyhow). So please test your platforms
out to ensure that nothing was inadvertantly broken. And if you see a DM
migration warning printed while building, lets get the migration done,
or speak up as to what's holding things back.

In terms of a changelog,
git log --merges v2023.01-rc4..v2023.01
contains what I've pulled since the last RC or:
git log --merges v2022.10..v2023.01
for changes since the last full release.  As always, more details in
pull requests (or the tags referenced by them) will result in more
details here.

And now the merge window continues to be open and I'll merge next in to
master shortly.  v2023.04 is scheduled for release on Monday, April 4th
2023 and the merge window closes on January 30th.

On that note, I want to try something a bit different moving forward.
I'm going to open the -next branch when I release -rc2, and by that
point changes for master need to be fairly clearly in the "fixes
something" category. If it's a new feature or platform that's late, it
can go to -next, which will be open and I'll be encouraging people to
look at and test. Why? The biggest issue we ran in to with this release
has been changes that came in late and had unintended side effects. I
should have taken them to next instead, honestly. So this is how we
address the problem moving forward I think, being stricter about changes
to master and by also having a schedule on when next will be open and an
expectation to use it.

Thanks all!

--
Tom