[U-Boot-Custodians] Branches other than "master" ?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Aug 27 16:37:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 05:55:50PM +0200, Daniel Schwierzeck wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 5:39 PM Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > While thinking about making use of the "next" branch of the main tree
> > more often, and perhaps similar to how linux-next is used, I was looking
> > at http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/CustodianGitTrees again.  This talks
> > about both "next" and "testing" branches.  Does anyone make use of
> > "next" or "testing" branches today?  If so, are they rebased, or not?  I
> > want to make sure that if I make any changes to a top-level branch name
> > policy it's consistent throughout and won't cause problems.  Thanks!
> >

> I usually use a "next" branch for patches which missed the merge
> window or which are generally scheduled for the next release. If
> necessary due to dependencies, I ask submitters to rebase their series
> to that branch during the review process. And I regularily rebase the
> "next" branch to mainline (usually after you create new -rc tags).

OK.  I also rebase "next" when I use it, but rarely use it.  I _think_
it will be OK to declare that "next" is allowed to rebase and should be
treated as such.

> To mimic linux-next, how about creating a Gitlab CI job to
> automatically merge "for-next" branches from all custodian trees on a
> daily schedule to detect merge conflicts or build errors early and
> before the merge window opens?

That would be nice, but merge conflicts (at my end at least) aren't
usually a problem.  What I do see as a problem / feedback is that
patches aren't given feedback about FTB/similar issues until I try and
apply them and then world-build.  Throwing them into some branch where
it's clear I am checking things, but not about to apply it to master
would help I think.

--
Tom