[U-Boot-Custodians] [U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] [U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2019.07-rc4 released

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sat Jun 22 18:15:36 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 at 16:10, Andreas Färber <afaerber at suse.de> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Am 22.06.19 um 16:55 schrieb Simon Glass:
> > I'd like to better understand the benefits of the 3-month timeline.
>
> It takes time to learn about a release, package and build it, test it on
> various hardware, investigate and report errors, wait for feedback and
> fixes, rinse and repeat with the next -rc. Many people don't do this as
> their main job.
>
> If we shorten the release cycle, newer boards will get out faster (which
> is good) but the overall quality of boards not actively worked on
> (because they were working good enough before) will decay, which is bad.
> The only way to counteract that would be to automatically test on real
> hardware rather than just building, and doing that for all these masses
> of boards seems unrealistic.

Here I think you are talking about distributions. But why not just
take every second release?

I have certain had the experience of getting a board our of the
cupboard and finding that the latest U-Boot doesn't work, nor the one
before, nor the three before that.

Are we actually seeing an improvement in regressions? I feel that
testing is the only way to get that.

Perhaps we should select a small subset of boards which do get tested,
and actually have custodians build/test on those for every rc?

Regards,
Simon