[U-Boot-Custodians] git access - move to gitlab?

Neil Armstrong narmstrong at baylibre.com
Mon Mar 25 12:39:51 UTC 2019

Hi Wolfgang,

On 25/03/2019 13:35, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I guess a few of you will have noticed the recent issues with
> HTTP(S) access to the custodian repositories; recent versions of git
> have introduced changes which are incompatible with the way how
> "alternates" and "http-alternates" have been working for many years.
>
> For a quick fix, I have now repacked all the repositories and
> removed the alternates / http-alternates files, so cloning over
> HTTP(S) should be working again.
>
> However, I think this is just a quick fix, and not a long term
> solution.  The git.denx.de server itself is a bit oldish, and the
> gitweb setup running on git.denx.de is old and ugly and limited and
> slow...
>
> I would like to move all the custodian repos to our gitlab server.
> This is a more powerfull machine, and we would have a number of
> additional options there.  We can still provide "classic" git
> protocol access even under the old URLs.

Freedesktop made the move, and for now it's pretty positive.
Beware, gitlab askes much more processing power on the server,
apart that it's pretty usable with medium sized codebases.

> Are there any concerns about this?
>
> When would be a good point in time (in release schedule) for such a
> move?

I'll wait after the merge window of the next u-boot release.

> Do we have to migrate all repositories at once, or can we have a few
> "early adaptors" who serve as guinea pigs?

I volunteer as a tribute !
If it doesn't work well I have accounts on other git services that
could replace the custodian repo if issues occurs meantime.

Neil