[U-Boot-Custodians] [U-Boot] [RFC] Codepages for console, video, FAT file system

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu May 30 19:35:21 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:12:42PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Heinrich,
>
> On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 04:44, Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:
> >
> > On 5/30/19 12:38 PM, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> > > The Linux console typically is running with Unicode. So with a serial
> > > connection we are transferring UTF-8. In the UEFI sub-subsystem we also
> > > assume that UTF-8 is used for the console.
> > >
> > > Linux typically mounts FAT file systems assuming codepage 437 for the
> > > filenames. Windows assumes codepage 1250.
> > >
> > > Currently when accessing the FAT filesystem the console characters are
> > > used verbatim without conversion to codepage 437 nor 1250 which leads to
> > > incorrect filenames when the partition is mounted in Linux or Windows.
> > >
> > > The drivers/video/vidconsole-uclass.c has a comment that it is assuming
> > > codepage 437.
> > >
> > > Some keyboard drivers also assume codepage 437.
> > >
> > > My suggestion to overcome the chaos is that we change all our coding to
> > > assume that the console talks UTF-8 and the FAT filesystem gets a
> > > customizing setting defining if it is mounted as codepage 437 or 1250.
> >
> > Sure, if it doesn't add bloat into SPL and/or grow the binary for
> > systems not using UEFI.
>
> I don't like the idea of using unicode everywhere. I worry about
> confusion, complexity and massive code bloat.
>
> What do we need unicode in the console?

I too am worried.  I think we should make sure that inputs to FAT are
codepage 437 (and done in such a way that we know that in SPL the inputs
are already sanitized so there is zero growth).  Aside from this, what
are the problem(s) we're seeing?

But also, how much binary size growth do you think your request would
result in, best rough estimate?  Thanks!

--
Tom