[U-Boot-Custodians] SPL / TPL

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 15:31:15 UTC 2019

Hi,

Simon is on vacation, hence I hoped to get the clarification from
other maintainers.

As I see in U-Boot currently only NXP PowerPC uses TPL in the NAND
configurations, and some ARM boards use TPL.

It looks in x86 we are using TPL in a different boot flow and this
confused me a lot in the past.
In x86 we expect TPL to load SPL then U-Boot proper. (TPL => SPL =>
U-Boot proper)

However in README.TPL, it says TPL is the 3rd program loader, to be
loaded by SPL. So if my read is correct, the expected boot flow is SPL
=> TPL => U-Boot proper.

I believe only one boot flow is the correct way. So which one is correct?

Regards,
Bin