[U-Boot-Custodians] SPL / TPL

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Thu Oct 10 07:46:38 UTC 2019

On 10/10/19 9:40 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Masahiro,
>
> In message <CAK7LNAR45-6SEAeGyjT8o5jP=6iNcSP=A4pW2rQV9V_JfGTi0w at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> This discussion started from this patch:
>> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/662396/
>>
>> It happened before the rockchip stuff.
>
> Yes, thanks for the link. Apparently I missed that discussion then :-(
>
> I still cannot see where this thinking that "SPL is big and has all
> features" and "TPL is small" is coming from.  If someone has
> implemented it in this way, then he did a major mistake.

Note that back in the old OneNAND days, TPL was used as the 1 kiB tiny
loader and that loaded the SPL. Even today, there are less features
available for TPL than for SPL, although they are constantly being added
to make these two things virtually identical. So I have a feeling that
this situation naturally evolved that TPL is smaller than SPL and goes
before SPL.

Just out of curiosity, how many platforms are there that do
SPL->TPL->U-Boot and how many do TPL->SPL->U-Boot ?