[U-Boot-Custodians] [RFC] Minimum Python 3 version?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Sep 27 16:05:01 UTC 2019

Hey all,

I'm currently kicking test.py to use Python 3 instead of Python 2.7 and
seeing places where it would (seemingly) be nice to be able to say that
we have Python 3.6 as our minimum version.  To do this however we'll
have to tell people using older LTS distributions that they need to
figure out the best way for them to install a newer Python is, if they
want to run tests at least.

This will also mean moving GitLab to "bionic" rather than "xenial", but
that's not too bad and I've done so for trying to get all of the fs
tests to run (they don't, but I think that's down to needing to kick
gitlab-runner harder) and also moving Travis-CI to bionic but that too
is now just a few-line change to .travis.yml

So, does anyone object to saying that for everything that uses Python to
work, Python 3.6 or newer is needed, and for more common tools we'll
make best-effort to support older?

--
Tom