The way to use Kconfig in U-Boot

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri May 22 16:10:43 CEST 2020

Hi Bin,

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 08:00, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 09:53:07PM +0800, Bin Meng wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 9:38 PM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > I think for the case Bin mentions yes we could do that. Certainly not
> > > nice to put this sort of thing in Kconfig. Perhaps a DT 'config/' node
> > > a bit like the existing 'chosen', that dtoc emits?
> > >

> > Yes, for the example I gave, we can certainly put such information
> > into DT config/ node. But this example may not be a good one because
> > we cannot just put every Kconfig option into DT.

Bin can you suggest an example with lots of variability, that is not
suitable for DT?

> There is a whole lot of it we can however and then it comes down to a
> question of how much do we, or do we not, want to be like Linux in terms
> of what's in defconfig files compared with what we enable in given
> situations in Kconfig files.

Linux does not have a consistent config model in that it has to
support x86 (without DT) and ARM (with). U-Boot doesn't have that
constraint.

Re Zephyr, yes I think we could use their approach[1]. It definitely
has advantages. But I haven't yet figured out quite how it fits in
U-Boot.

If the config is mostly global we could have:

config {
   some-setting = <0x123>;
};

which dtoc converts to:

static struct dtd_config = {
   .some_setting = 0x123;
}

and in U-Boot could be accessed with:

struct dtd_config *conf = u_boot_config();

if (conf->some_setting)

Regards,
Simon

[1] https://docs.zephyrproject.org/latest/guides/dts/index.html