The way to use Kconfig in U-Boot

Michal Simek michal.simek at xilinx.com
Tue May 26 08:26:11 CEST 2020

On 25. 05. 20 16:57, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> On Mon, 25 May 2020 at 03:16, Michal Simek <monstr at monstr.eu> wrote:

>>> I've been encouraging the "put defaults together" style as that I hope
>>> makes the problem scope for "now make handling this cleaner" easier to
>>> see.  When something is scattered in N files it's easier to miss what
>>> everyone looks like.  As you note, that too might fit well enough into a
>>> /config node or similar type thing instead.  It didn't really belong in
>>> include/config/${board}.h (or more often one of the common include files
>>> there) and doesn't quite fit in with Kconfig well either.
>>>

>> Just keep in your mind that DT config {} node is something what u-boot
>> is using but never been reviewed by DT guys. We should normally use
>> chosen node instead (for example u-boot,spl-boot-order is IMHO one good
>> example).
>
> The chosen node is for passing things to linux, not (generally) for
> use within U-Boot.

Rob confirmed that chosen node should be used.
https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2020-April/409059.html
If you still have concern about it please join that thread.

>> I am trying to keep u-boot and linux dts in sync. I know we have
>> -uboot.dtsi where a lot of them are just adding u-boot,dm-XX; or binman
>> but if we want to use configuration via DT more then we should do it
>> properly in a compatible way.
>
> I think this is a worthy effort. I hope you can have some success. If
> you do I am very happy to help. But if the answer is that U-Boot has
> to only use Linux bindings, then it isn't going to work so well. I'd
> like to see more acceptance of the constraints of a boot loader with
> the bindings. The discussion over the 'clock' property in a debug UART
> is an example of that.

I have done the first step which is record u-boot prefix based on Rob's
guidance.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/vendor-prefixes.yaml?id=7f0f855e6cf32caff83c37adfc1be4ed8d93713c

Also got reaction from Rob that we can document u-boot binding in the
Linux kernel
https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2020-May/412435.html
"/chosen already has a schema in dt-schema[1]. Add it there or add a
chosen-u-boot.yaml."

I am not aware about that debug UART discussion. Any link would be useful.

>> (Just a side node we should move u-boot,dm-pre-reloc = <&.. &.. &..> to
>> chosen node and iterate over instead of putting property to every node.
>
> (side node...it has a u-boot, prefix, so surely it is fine from a
> binding perspective...this is the sort of Linux-centric approach that
> drove me nuts when I tried to upstream things)
>
> This has been discussed before and it was the other option when I
> originally implemented it. I was worried about confusion efficiency at
> the time. I think it is possible to implement it reasonably
> efficiently by having a list of node offsets to take notice of, for
> the prior-to=relocation. For SPL/TPL it has already been dealt with by
> fdtgrep.
>
> But for confusion I am not so sure. The way it works at the moment we
> can put the tags in a .dtsi file that is shared among multiple boards.
> We really don't have a way to merge multiple properties into one,
> which is what I think would be needed here.

You shouldn't loose functionality but sourcing one dtsi among multiple
boards. Just instead of &XXX { u-boot,dm...; }; &YYY { u-boot,dm...; };
you will have "chosen { u-boot,dm = <&XXX &YYY>; }"
If you are using it today your node references must be the same anyway.

>> Take a look at
>> https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2020-April/405155.html
>> and follow up
>> https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2020-May/412102.html
>>

> Looks good, particularly the last one. Did your patch get applied?

u-boot is recorded in vendor prefixes in linux-next.

>> I am definitely fine with moving stuff to DT but we should do it in
>> similar way how Linux is doing it today. Which means use the whole
>> infrastructure for checking these DTs.
>
> Are we missing something? I certainly get plenty of warnings when I
> build stuff :-) Perhaps we should start by syncing over the DTs to get
> rid of all the warnings?

Linux bindings also generates a lot of warnings. Not sure number of
warnings is less or more in newer kernel. Based on my experience if you
are staying on latest DTC and using dt-schema a running these checks you
are getting more and more warnings based on progress on checking.
And it is on every platform if these warnings are fixed or not.

>> I would also suggest to clean up current u-boot specific DT properties,
>> reviewed them, document them, fix them if necessary and then start to
>> add new one on the top.
>
> That sounds fine to me. See doc-device-tree-bindings/ for chosen.txt
> and config.txt, for example.
>
> But first let's see if we can get *any* binding approved upstream,
> just to test the water.

I think we should try to send a patch for adding u-boot,spl-boot-order.
It is used just by Rockchip and looks like a good candidate. It also
targets chosen node already.

Thanks,
Michal