Requiring SPL_DM for new boards?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Oct 31 20:43:01 CET 2022

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 01:27:06PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 at 11:53, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 07:44:01PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> > > Hi Tom,

> > > OK I see.
> > >
> > > What do you think of a migration method for boards which don't use
> > > SPL_DM, so they migrate to TPL? Would that cause a lot of problems?
> >
> > I'm not sure what it gains us. Maybe the first step here is to see what
> > the list of non-DM_SPL platforms / SoCs are?
>
> OK:
>
> $./tools/moveconfig.py -b
>
> $ ./tools/moveconfig.py -f SPL ~SPL_DM
> 323 matches
>
> $ ./tools/moveconfig.py -f SPL_DM
> 333 matches

OK, if we start parsing things out, PowerPC is one chunk of that and
won't change. Another chunk of that is sunxi which is a "still making
new SoCs with very small SRAM" and it's worth talking with Andre for
thoughts there. A large swath of the rest is layerscape / imx6/7/8 and
it's worth rfc'ing a patch or two to move their board-specific "select
SPL_DM if SPL" to a higher level ARCH_xxx line. Especially for the imx8*
ones.

--
Tom