[RISC-V][tech-os-a-see] Recommendation for identifying partition with firmware to be loaded from SD-card

Aaron Durbin adurbin at rivosinc.com
Mon May 1 16:31:20 CEST 2023

Hi,

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 8:26 AM Heinrich Schuchardt <
heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com> wrote:

> Linux distributions are interested in providing a single image which
> enables a high number of boards to boot. This is simple if the boot
> firmware (EDK II or U-Boot) is installed on flash.
>
> For boards that expect to load a boot loader like U-Boot from an SD-card
> it is necessary that the firmware locations for different boards
> on the SD-card don't collide.
>
> When loading from SD-card or eMMC the sector at which the binary
> starts has to be identified. The following has been implemented:
>
> - start from hard coded sector number
> - load file from FAT file system
> - load from given partition number
> - load from partition with boot flag set (MBR partioning only)
> - load from partition with specific type GUID

> collisions between the firmware for different boards.
>
> Often firmware is separated into multiple parts due to firmware
> restrictions, e.g. U-Boot SPL and main U-Boot (e.g. as .itb file).
>
> Here the same considerations apply. Using a partition type GUID to
> identify further firmware parts to be loaded is best suited to
> avoid collisions.
>
> I would suggest to add a recommendation to the EBBR specification
> to use SoC specific partition type GUIDs to identify firmware to
> be loaded from SD-card.

Who is loading the firmware that is identified by a GUID?  And how does
that tie into Linux distros? I don't see anything wrong w/ the
recommendation, but I didn't completely follow which piece of software is
specific partition type GUID" unique per SoC? Or is it expected to be a
global GUID?