[U-Boot-Users] booting linux from u-boot - help!

My-Hong Vuong My-Hong.Vuong at au.thalesgroup.com
Tue Dec 17 01:23:15 CET 2002

Hi,

I've finally resolved my ethernet reset problem - we just happened to
be moving things arount on our development area, and found that upon
removal of the mpcbdm cable, our board no longer sporadically reset and
our ethernet worked just fine.  Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm
open to suggestions and I'm sure users developing for custom boards
would also find this information useful.

Anyway, I'm now up to the stage of booting linux.  i've tftp'd a
pImage, loaded it into flash and have tried to boot it using:

setenv bootargs root=/dev/hda1
bootm 04880000
## Booting image at 04880000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.4.19-pre7
   Created:      2002-12-16   8:04:21 UTC
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    599083 Bytes = 585 kB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

At this point, it hangs.  I've double-checked

linux/include/asm-ppc/ppcboot.h
with u-boot/include/asm-ppc/ppcboot.h

and the only difference is the following line:

mon_fnc_t	*bi_mon_fnc;	/* Pointer to monitor functions	*/

which is required(?)

I've also tried it with the clocks_in_mhz turned on and off with no
avail.
I modified linux/arch/ppc/kernel/head_8xx.S to flash some LEDs on the
board at _start and that works, suggesting to me that at least the
memory map parsed to linux is ok.  however, trying to flash our leds to
try and find out where our system hangs, it fails when i get to
start_here.  it appears that the system crashes after the "rfi", which
enables our mmu.  to "prove" this, we replaced the turn_on_mmu block
with a simple "b start_here".  what could possibly be the problem
here??

in desperate need of help... and thanks in advance,
My Hong Vuong