[U-Boot-Users] booting linux from u-boot - help!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 17 09:25:52 CET 2002

In message <sdff7591.075 at au.thalesgroup.com> you wrote:
> I used smc1 because i was unable to get ppcboot running with smc2.  our

This is something you should investigate. U-Boot is working  fine  on
all  MC and SCC ports. If it doesn't work for you this means there is
some problem on your board and/or with your  configuration.  Ignoring
such problems in the early phases whiletrying to go on and "make some
progress"  might  seem to be useful for some demonstration with upper
management, but will have to be paied for double  and  triple  later,
when  you  run  into  the  same  problem  again  without  knowing and
expecting it. -- Just my $ 0.02. [I must live with a  very  primitive
mind  -  I tend to solve problems one by one, step by step. But then,
this is working not too bad for me ;-) ]

> where r25 is the pattern I want to write into address 0x81000000.  I've

As Murray already pointed out: under Linux you cannot simply write to
any physical address you  like.  Linux  sets  up  a  virtual  address
mapping,  and  each  part  of your physical address space you want to
access must be explicitely mapped into this virtual memory.

> any other ideas would be muchly appreciated,

Well, standard recommendation applies again: get yourself a BDI2000.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
On our campus the UNIX system has proved to be not only an  effective
software tool, but an agent of technical and social change within the
University.                          - John Lions (U. of Toronto (?))