[U-Boot-Users] u-boot compilation

Marius Gröger marius.groeger at web.de
Wed Nov 6 10:34:18 CET 2002

Robert Schwebel <robert at schwebel.de> schrieb am 06.11.02 10:03:44:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:23:52AM +0100, Marius Gröger wrote:
> > What do you mean here - what else than stage 1 can a cross compiler
> > be?!
>
> Normally when you build a toolchain you first have to build a compiler
> which is able to work without glibc headers (needs only to have C
> support). Then you use it to build glibc and afterwards you recompile
> your compiler with glibc support and whatever languages you need.

Gotcha... I thought you were referring to gcc's terminology
of "stages". There, anything higher thant stage 1 is
compiled by itself which obviously won't work cross.

What you call stage1 is sometimes (and in Elinos, too) called
a "bootstrap gcc".

However: u-boot should be compilable with such a bootstrap
gcc, as it should not be dependent on glibc. (It is
bad enogh for it to be so dependent on several Linux
headers, but that is a compromise to be able to reuse
code from Linux - we had that before).

Regards,
Marius.