[U-Boot-Users] Re: The i386 patch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 19 22:19:58 CET 2002

Dear Daniel,

in message <20021118113139.E892 at jupiter.omicron.se> you wrote:

> >         x86 should _not_ need any special code here. Do you think  it
> >         is  possible to add support for "standard" mkimage format and
> >         get rid of your new #ifdef's?
> The "standard" mkimage format IS supported, this code add support for Linux
> images without the mkimage header as well.

I see.

> Or better yet not load the kernel at all if the kernel resides in flash,
> just give do_bootm_linux() a pointer to where the kernel is located.

Right. This is something which I probably  should  fix  on  PPC,  too
(fixed on ARM some time ago).

> > common/cmd_ide.c:
> > 	+#ifdef __PPC__
> > 	Are you sure this is PPC only?
> No, I thought that ide was only used by ppc before, but I se now that IDE
> is used
> by the ARM as well.
> Should perhaps be #ifdef __BIG_ENDIAN ?

But ARM is little endian!

> > ppcboot/examples/syscall.S:
> >
> > 	Are you sure there is only a "ret" needed?
> Its a place holder, syscalls are not functional yet.

Then we should rather have a #warning similar to the  current  styate
in ARM.

> I think it will be a problem that printf is defined as a
> syscall because it is a variable argument list function.
>
> How do I know how much of the stack to copy when I enter
> the firmware?

What do you mean with "stack to copy"? You are running in the  U-Boot
environment,  accessing  the  U-Boot  stack directly. No need to copy
anything...

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The high cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.