[U-Boot-Users] RE: start / load addresses for initrd

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Apr 2 22:13:09 CEST 2003

Jerry,

in message <EGEGIJHKDKJGAJMGIDPNEEGNCKAA.jwalden at digitalatlantic.com> you wrote:

> I was getting the error:
> (RAMDISK: incomplete write (ramdisk too small?) (-28!= 32768)
>  and then I discovered the my command line option ramdisk_size=8192 needs to
>  be changed to ramdisk_size=16384.

What makes you think so? I think you are wrong.

> > Image Name:   DA Ramdisk Image
> > Image Type:   PowerPC Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
> > Data Size:    1509352 Bytes =  1.4 MB

Given a compressed size of 1.4 MB, the contents of the  ramdisk  will
be probably in the range of 3...4 MB. Did you really create a ramdisk
16 MB big?

> > RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
> > Freeing initrd memory: 1473k freed
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

Again, I see no indication that  you  really  have  a  good,  working
ramdisk image. I think you should ask MV support for help.

Alternmatively, you could try using a known-to-work ramdisk image for
a start, for example one from here:
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get.  :-)
                      - Larry Wall in <10502 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>