[U-Boot-Users] ELF Loader

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 4 01:03:05 CEST 2003

Chris,

in message <A1DD009E87CDD2119E940008C7334DA4021CCB18 at ns.radstone.co.uk> you wrote:
> I've come across a problem using the ELF loader, the existing one relocates
> the data in the ELF image using section headers.  This prevented a LynxOS
> image I have being loaded correctly.  I was lead to believe by the ELF
> standard that section headers are for linking, not loading and execution.
> I have reimplemented the ELF loader using program headers, this is shown in
> the code snippet below.  (The original code is left in for reference but
> commmented out)  Can anyone tell me if there is a valid reason for the way
> it was done originally?

I think your code is correct. As far as I can tell, according to  the
standard  an  ELF file is supposed to be loaded using program headers
and not section headers.

Can you please submit your new code as a patch  against  the  current
CVS tree?

Ummm... are you aware of the fact that you don't clear the  BSS  are,
which is required by the standard?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for
the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we
are now qualified to do anything with nothing.