[U-Boot-Users] PPC440 Floating point?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 14 16:48:34 CEST 2003

In message <NCBBIIOPCEBAMFLLKKBKCEDNCGAA.RL at prodrive.nl> you wrote:

> We are planning to use the PPC440 but,
> I wan't to use floating point calculations on a PPC440,
> since this processor has no FPU, it not as easy I guess?

It's easy if you can live with the poor performance youwill get  with
software floating point.

> - What do I need to do floating point calculations?

Nothing special.

> - Does the GNU compiler support this feature?

If it is configured, correctly, yes. You  can  use  our  ELDK,  which
supports this.

> - Can I find documentation upon the power (CPU Cycles) needed to do a single
> 'add' or 'multiply'?

You do not really want  to  know  this.  It  is  a  very  frustrating
experience.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Q:  What's a light-year?
A:  One-third less calories than a regular year.