[U-Boot-Users] uImage wrapper removal?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 15 10:31:05 CEST 2003

In message <3F3C62F1.8060509 at san.rr.com> you wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's a utility to remove the U-Boot wrapper from
> a uImage  (gzipped kernel, etc)?  I'm creating a single uImage with

U-Boot just prepends a 64 byte header (see include/image.h).

So "dd if=uImage of=kernel bs=64 skip=1" will do the job, as will
"tail -c +65 uImage >kernel".

> Just checking to see if there's something already out there of if this
> has been discussed before.

No need for special tools. Just use the  standard  Unix  toolbox  for
file manipulation commands.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
They weren't that important. They were merely at the top. The  people
who  really  run organizations are usually found several levels down,
where it's still possible to get things done.
                                      - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_