[U-Boot-Users] Resend: The dreaded embedded environment - linker barf!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 28 09:35:29 CEST 2003

Dear Robin,

in message <3F4D26AE.5050103 at tait.co.nz> you wrote:

> My assumptions here are based in part on the names of the #defines

This is not a reliable method - if there is no  better  documentation
you have to check how these #define'd variables are _used_, too.

> It was only later I re-read the README file where it states that
> CFG_MONITOR_START = CFG_FLASH_BASE - makes one of them somewhat
> redundant if they are equal anyway. Certainly it appears that the code
> assumes they are the same!!

This is not exactly correct. The README says about  CFG_MONITOR_BASE:
"same  as  CFG_FLASH_BASE  when  booting  from  flash." In some cases
U-Boot may  be  stored  in  ROM,  or  even  in  RAM,  in  which  case
CFG_MONITOR_BASE and CFG_FLASH_BASE may be different.

> I fixed the problem by putting the environment into EEPROM - the FLASH
> implementation is broken. If it happens that I have to revisit the FLASH
> environment then I'll try and fix it :-))

No, the flash implementation is _NOT_ broken. Your  configuration  is
broken, that's all. The flash implementation is working fine on many,
many boards.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days
of the former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich  and  largely  tax
free.         - Douglas Adams, _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_