[U-Boot-Users] Steps performed by Uboot!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 29 11:25:32 CEST 2003

Dear Deya,

in message <20030829054635.47900.qmail at web8205.mail.in.yahoo.com> you wrote:

>        I am new to this list. I want to use U-boot for
> my Intels Xscale PXA255. To start my linux OS, I want
> these things to be performed. Can anyone tell me what
> out of these steps, U-boot can perform for me?

In a first step, you should always read the available  documentation;
for  U-Boot  the  README (included with the source code) and the DULG
(http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/Manual) are mandatory.

> a.	Initialize the CPU Clock.

Check.

> b.	Initialize the on chip Serial UART for
>         debug messages.

Check.

> c.	Initialize and set up the SDRAM.

Check.

> d.	Check and report the FLASH and SDRAM sizes.

Check.

> e.	Check and report the available Peripherals.

Check [assuming a complete port of U-Boot to your board]

> f.	Copy the rest of the BIOS to SDRAM and
>         transfer control

Check [assuming with "BIOS" you mean U-Boot]

> g.	Invoke the OS and transfer control

Check [if you enter a command to boot the OS  -  either  manually  or
automatically using the bootcmd environment variable]

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.