[U-Boot-Users] JFFS2 CRC problem with kernel and ramdisk in U-boot 0.4.0

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 5 18:04:40 CET 2003

In message <159C486347C8D3119B1D005004A4694002F4AD09 at OLIVE> you wrote:

> JFFS2 and we are encountering problems similar to the problem posted by
> Vitali Martin on 7-22-2003.  (See link below.)
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2814642&forum_id=12898
>
> Not entirely sure if this was resolved because the thread just died without
> the real answer.

This is what I know, too.

> bash-2.05# cp rImage /mnt
> bash-2.05# cd /mnt/
> bash-2.05# ls -l
> total 4997
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      5116534 Dec 31  1969 rImage
> bash-2.05# diff rImage /mnt/rImage

Can you please try a umount, reboot, mount here, and then run a "cmp rImage /mnt/rImage" ?

[diff is not really good for binary images.]

> I noticed that u-boot 0.4.0 are packing the JFFS2 data structures and
> in the Denx PPC 2.4.4 kernel it is not using the __attribute__((packed)) at
> all in the same data structures.

This is probably the explanation for the problems.

> I know one post with similar problems said that going to the 2.4.19pre1
> fixed
> his problem.  I know the mtd tools in the Denx PPC kernel is old but trying
> to update the Denx kernel to use the current MTD kernel, fs, utilities is
> not
> trivial.

You can try using our linuxppc_2_4_devel kernel tree.

> Is there someone there who knows how to resolve this problem?  I'm sure that
> Wolfgang will not put a distribution out there if it is not working.  So

Well, as you mentioned before, the linux-2.4(.4) kernel tree is  old,
and  so  is  the  included MTD (and thus JFFS2) code. It seemes there
were changes to the JFFS2 code since that broke compatibility.  There
is little you can do about this.

> there are incompatibilities between Denx PPC kernel 2.4.4 and U-boot 0.4.0.
> Should we just bite the bullet and go to the current linux distribution?
>
> We are in a crunch time right now thus, any help is greatly appreciated.

Try our linuxppc_2_4_devel kernel tree.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de