[U-Boot-Users] Don't know where to __start in booting Linux 2.4.18 on MPC8260ADS board using u-boot 1.0.0

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 5 23:51:46 CET 2003

Dear Stan,

in message <000d01c3bb7e$09ae5800$6b6aa8c0 at SPARTLAPTOP> you wrote:

> However, I am having trouble booting linux 2.4.18 using u-boot 1.0.0 on my
> custom MPC8260ADS board.  My target immediately halts at the entry point in

What makes you think it halts?

> linux.  I have tried several entry point offsets.  Of course, the first
> entry point I tried was load address of 0 and entry point of 0 like in the

Which is correct.

> DULG documentation.  My ICE immediately reports "Target stopped unknown
> reason; PC = 00000000".  In fact, no matter where I set the TEXT_BASE, load
> address, and entry point I have the same problem.

Did you consider the possibility that your ICE might get in your way?

Did you try out what happens when you simply disconnect it?

> In my session below, I set the TEXT_BASE, KERNELLOAD, and PAGE_OFFSET
> address to 00100000.

Do not meddle with things you don't understand. Leave them alone!!!

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"There was no difference between  the  behavior  of  a  god  and  the
operations of pure chance..."   - Thomas Pynchon, _Gravity's Rainbow_