[U-Boot-Users] u-boot & linux kernel help on mpc860

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 10 21:16:30 CET 2003

Dear Steve,

in message <2E6FE17ED9336449B70E4AC6C5CF50020591E3 at TBSMAIL> you wrote:

> I can tftp the uImage into RAM, then cp.b into flash. This process is fine.
> But when running the image bootm command, it seems not to continue.
>
> 	## Booting image at a0100000 ...
> 	   Image Name:   Linux-2.4.23

This is Linux kernel version 2.4.23.

> From this point everything stops. There is no more output and the console is
> not responding to anything
> I have what i believe to be the correct environment.
>
> 	baudrate=38400
> 	ethaddr=00:a0:13:00:0a:8c
> 	preboot=echo;echo
> 	clocks_in_mhz=1
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And this is the culprit.

It seems you did not read the FAQ section of the U-Boot manual

> Does the kernel require configuration for custom hardware ? By custom

Yes, usually at least for the clock routing and I/O  port  pins  used
for the Ethernet interface.

> How does the kernel find out the flash base address. serial port is running
> at 38k4 on smc1, the FEC is to be used. IP address etc etc ?

The flash base address (and size) are passed as part of  the  bd_info
structure;  the  cfact  that  you  want to use the FEC is part of the
Linux kernel configuration; IP address can be passed as part  of  the
boot arguments (bootargs environment variable in U-Boot).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
When a program is being  tested,  it  is  too  late  to  make  design
changes.                  -- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"