[U-Boot-Users] PPCBoot vxworks question

Chris Hallinan clh at net1plus.com
Fri Jan 10 19:18:45 CET 2003

Well, I don't know what the VxWorks bootloader does, but I know
PPCBoot/U-Boot.  In order to get any of the boot[x] commands to
work, it assumes you have the kernel image loaded into memory
already.  For example, to load and execute the Linux kernel, here is
one method assuming you have a properly functioning Ethernet i/f and
a tftpserver.

tftpboot 400000 linux-ppcboot-image
bootm 400000

The first line loads the kernel image into memory at my chosen
address of 0x40_0000 and the second line transfers control to it.

The other thing you must do for this to work is to put the PPCBoot /
U-Boot header on your kernel image using the mkimage utility that
comes with U-Boot.  The README file in U-Boot distribution contains
this info and much more!

-Chris Hallinan
DS4.COM, Inc