[U-Boot-Users] Loading from a CF card on the PCMCIA interface

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 22 06:54:12 CET 2003

In message <8D7C5F56B409554D9D46AC22195807F3061C23 at exchwenz01.dmcwave.co.nz> you wrote:

> I have a board with a compact flash device connected to the PCMCIA
> interface.  I am trying to read the Linux kernel out from a Linux partition
> situated inside an extended partition.

Use a separate (small - 2 MB or so) partition to store the Linux kernel.

> Has this been done before?  I can use diskboot on a primary partition fine
> but not from an extended partition.  Has anybody else done this before?

No. You would have to implement filesystem support to U-Boot.

But I would not like to see this integrated into U-Boot. If you  want
to do this, implement it as a U-Boot standalone application, that can
be used as second stage boot loader.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
It became apparent that one reason why the Ice Giants were  known  as
the  Ice  Giants  was  because they were, well, giants. The other was
that they were made of ice.              -Terry Pratchett, _Sourcery_