[U-Boot-Users] Download of kernel Image through Serial Line.

wolfgang.grandegger at bluewin.ch wolfgang.grandegger at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 29 11:51:17 CET 2003

You could use kermit binary download. Check for example chapter
4.10.5.3 of our DENX PPCBoot and Linux Guide at
http://www.denx.de/doc/TQM8xxL.

>- If I eventually manage to launch Linux, is it possible to have NFS over
>serial line ?

This does not sound very promising to me. A root filesystem
on a JFFS2 or CRAMFS partition might be the better option.

>- What are the minima requests in terms of memory to run Linux ?
>- Minimum Ram Size

4MB or better 8MB.

>- Minimum Flash Size if I don't use NFS ( full embeded application )

4MB. For a resonable 'standard' Embedded Linux runtime
environment for PowerPC including basic network support
you need approx. the following space in Flash:

 U-Boot                   : 120 KB
 Linux kernel             : 600 KB
 RAMDisk image            : 1   MB
 Root file-system on JFFS2: 2.5 MB

And development and debugging without network will be
quite cumbersome, I imagine. A hardware debugger would
be of great help also for image download. Abatron's
BDI2000 is a _great_ tool.

Hope it helps,

Wolfgang.