[U-Boot-Users] Download of kernel Image through Serial Line.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 30 09:20:52 CET 2003

In message <NEEAIENMOLHNBKKFKIDMAEBFCAAA.cedric_aubert at softhome.net> you wrote:

> Is it possible to have U-Boot and the kernel linux in the prom
> without decompress the kernel in RAM ? Flash will be ok for the

You _can_ run the Linux kernel from  ROM;  we  have  implemented  and
tested XIP (execute in place) for a couple of systems, including PPC.
However, the advantages are not what you might expect.

> filesystem and my application. The SRAM should be use
> for my application Data Base.

Linux will always need system memory in RAM.

Viele Grüße,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Your csh still thinks true is false. Write to your vendor  today  and
tell them that next year Configure ought to "rm /bin/csh" unless they
fix  their blasted shell. :-)
                 - Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution