[U-Boot-Users] Start of new ARM920T target

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 18 01:34:31 CEST 2003

In message <20030708024322.GA425 at buici.com> you wrote:

> I'm sending an initial patch for the KEV7A400 dev board in order to
> get some feedback about the configuration extension I'm proposing.
> This is *not* complete.  It ought not break any of the non-ARM9 builds
> though it may break one of the ARM9 ones.

I'll reject this patch for now, mostly for formal reasons.

* Please don't try to sneak in local stuff like your .gdbinit file.

* Please don't add lines with trailing white space.

* Please use the Linux kernel coding style. Please stick with TAB
  indentation, especially when editing existing code that uses it.

* Please do not use C++ comments.

* I would prefer if  we  would  NOT  add  the  requirement  for  more
  external  tools  (like Perl). But if you use these, then please use
  the respective recommendations for "good style" code -  like  using
  the "-w" switch and maybe "use strict;"

* You use "private" debugging clauses like "#ifdef RTC_DEBUG"  -  why
  not simply using the existing debug() macro?

Now for the technical discussion: I don't  see  much  advantage  when
using your mkconfigx script. IMHO it has several problems:
* It will incorrectly include files  that  have  been  commented  out
  using C comments, "#if 0" or similar clauses.
* It is based on the assumption that only  CONFIG_*  definitions  are
  relevant; it would be nice if this was the case, but actually there
  is  at  least  a  couple  of  CFG_*  variables, and some boards use
  (locally) even completely different names

You may argument that it's possible to fix the know problems, but I'm
sure we will run into similar problems again later.

You  modify  include/asm-arm/processor.h   in   an   unexpacted   way
(inserting "#undef arm"). Please don't add such code to system header
files.  Ther  eis  obviously  a  problem  somewhere in your toolchain
and/or on tyour system. Please fix the cause, not the symptoms.

May I please ask you to clean up the patch as far as the KEV7A400 dev
board is concerned, and resubmit it. Please omit the mkconfigx  stuff
(and other "goodies" like .gdbinit).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You can observe a lot just by watchin'.                  - Yogi Berra