[U-Boot-Users] autoboot in U-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 18 12:15:08 CEST 2003

Hello,

in message <1058522316.1188.104.camel at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:

> > What do you get when you run the "printenv" command?
> this is what i get when i issue printenv
>
> :>printenv
> 0A"
> $`
> $A
> .aB@
> stdgut=seri`l
> stdin=serial
> stdout=serial
> stderr=serial
>
> Environment size: 71/262140 bytes

As you can see, the environment contains only garbage. So it is not a
big surprise that autoboot does not work  as  U-Boot  cannot  find  a
valid definition of the "bootdelay" environment variable.

My suspicion that your  environment  is  misconfigured  seems  to  be
correct.

> > Why do you reserve 512 kB for  U-Boot?  U-Boot  is  needs  much  less
> > memory!
> >
> err .. i dunno why..  did i reserve that much? hmm where do i configure
> this. I hav just upgrade from ppcboot actually... and i am very new at
> this boot loader stuff.

All this is set in the  board's  config  file.  The  relevant  config
variables are documented in the README file.

> > Where are your environment variables stored? In flash? Embedded with
> > the U-Boot image or separate?
> >
> environment variables?? i m really sorry, i m not sure what you are
> talkin about. Is it board.c? Everything , the u-boot, kernel and ramdisk
> is in flash.

I am talking about variables and configuration parameters that U-Boot
stores in the "environment". The envrionment can be stored in  flash,
I2C or SPI EEPROM, NVRAM, etc.

Your environment is obviously misconfigured, which is the reason  for
your problems.

> Thanks for your time in helping me out. I am sorry but I am new at this.
> Well everyone has to start learning from somewhere.

Maybe you find it useful to have a look at http://www.denx.de/re/DPLG.html

Although this does not answer your immediate questions, it might help
you to understand the concept of environment variables and what  they
can be used for.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars.
	-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3259.2