[U-Boot-Users] FADS

Dave Ellis DGE at sixnetio.com
Fri Jul 25 22:31:34 CEST 2003

> Ing.Gianfranco Morandi wrote:

> I have a problem during the early initialization of the console; when the
> board starts from power up the first part of the message is corrupted as
> follow:
>
> áÙÁááiA¹¹Á¹Í¹Á.сÑå¹áÁÁ5!éé  4 kB I-Cache 4 kB D-Cache FEC present
>          *** Warning: CPU Core has Silicon Bugs -- Check the
> Errata ***
> Board: FADS with db MPC821, MPC860 / MPC860SAR / MPC860T rev
> ENG or PILOT
>
> while if I reset the board without switch it off, the message
> is correct.
>
> CPU:   XPC860xxZPnnB at 49.800 MHz: 4 kB I-Cache 4 kB D-Cache
> FEC present
>          *** Warning: CPU Core has Silicon Bugs -- Check the
> Errata ***
> Board: FADS with db MPC821, MPC860 / MPC860SAR / MPC860T rev
> ENG or PILOT
>
> Does anybody have any idea if or where I missed some stuff ?

The garbled output is because for the FADS the rs232 port is
disabled at powerup until U-Boot enables it. It takes a little while
for the charge pumps to develop enough voltage to send properly,
so the first characters are garbled.

When you reset the board the rs232 ports are left enabled, so the
rs232 output works immediately.

You can safely ignore it, or fix it by adding a delay (maybe 50
milliseconds?)
after the rs232 port is enabled in cpu/mpc8xx/serial.c. Look for
BCSR1_RS232EN_1.

In my experience, what you should fix is this:
> CPU:   XPC860xxZPnnB at 49.800 MHz: 4 kB I-Cache 4 kB D-Cache
> FEC present
>          *** Warning: CPU Core has Silicon Bugs -- Check the

The MPC860T rev B silicon has serious problems. You should replace
the CPU with a revision D processor. My experience with the FADS
was pretty good once I did that, but other people have had lots
of problems and really _hate_ it.

Dave

Dave Ellis
SIXNET - "Leading the Industrial Ethernet Revolution"
331 Ushers Road,   P.O. Box 767, Clifton Park, NY 12065 USA
Tel +1 (518) 877-5173   Fax +1 (518) 877-8346
Email me at: dge at sixnetio.com
Detailed product info: www.sixnetio.com