[U-Boot-Users] Start of new ARM920T target

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jul 27 01:11:53 CEST 2003

Dear Marc,

sorry  for the long delay.

In message <20030718003050.GB18209 at buici.com> you wrote:
> I respect your objections.  This was not intended as a *real* patch.

Um, sorry. I misunderstood this then. It looked like a real patch  to
me.

> I wanted you to look at the Makefile portion to see if you approved.
> Though this is true, the point is to enable conditional compilation
> and *not* to allow every configuration option to control Makefiles.

I understand what you intend to do, and I  agree  that  it's  a  Good
Thing (TM) to have.

> > You  modify  include/asm-arm/processor.h   in   an   unexpacted   way
> > (inserting "#undef arm"). Please don't add such code to system header
> > files.  Ther  eis  obviously  a  problem  somewhere in your toolchain
> > and/or on tyour system. Please fix the cause, not the symptoms.
>
> This is to work around a bug.  Someone was #define'ing it and breaking
> a struture.  I think that the true culprit is the code that #define's
> a symbol that isn't all upper case.

Symbols like "arm" or "__arm__" often  get  defined  by  the  prepro-
cessor.  Check  your tools. The ELDK's cross compiler does not define
"arm" (but it does define "__arm__").

> Let me elaborate on mkconfigx.
> and move the code to separate files.  There are many places where code
> shares a file for no good reason.  I'm looking to put truly ARM920
> code in ARM920 triggered sources, and so on.

We agree on the target. I see another benefit:  the  current  way  to
compile  all  files (but #ifdef'fing unneeded stuff) causes long com-
pile times; this prevents many people  from  running  "MAKEALL",  and
costs a lot of time to myself. An change like the suggested one would
improve this, too.

I just think that your first implementation of this idea  needs  some
more work.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I wrote my name at the top of the page. I wrote down  the  number  of
the  question  ``1''.  After much reflection I put a bracket round it
thus ``(1)''. But thereafter I could not think of anything  connected
with it that was either relevant or true.
                        - Sir Winston Churchill _My Early Life_ ch. 2