[U-Boot-Users] PATCH : Allow dhcp to get IP address from and keep other env data .

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 30 09:13:27 CEST 2003

Dear Richard,

in message <FD2AC9A020DDD51194710008C7089B200BEE2230 at dlee17.itg.ti.com> you wrote:

> This small patch adds the conditional DHCP_IP_ADDR_ONLY .  This allows
> someone to use the dhcp command to load a file on a network where you DON'T
> have access to the dhcp server, but would like to use it to have fast
> downloads of development kernels or other files.

I have to admit that I don't understand this sentence.  How  can  you
use "it" (the dhcp server?), when you don't have access to it?

> Prior to this patch the the reply packet would trash your environment
> settings for bootfile and serverip will not be used when issuing the dhcp

Sorry, but I disagree. Those variables will be  _set_,  not  trashed.
And  only if your DHCP server transmits this sort of ionformation. If
you don't want it, don't send it, i. e. configure  your  DHCP  server
not to send it.

> command.  By adding the CFG_DHCP_CMD, along with DHCP_IP_ADDR_ONLY in your
> board config file you can use your company network server to get your file.
> The ip,gateway,netmask still are gotten from the dhcp reply.

I can see no need for this.

If I understand you correctly, you want to use DHCP to configure  the
network  interface, yet download by TFTP from a different server. Did
you thy something like this:

	=> setenv my_bootfile "/tftpboot/foo"
	=> setenv my_tftpserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
	=> saveenv