[U-Boot-Users] Status LEDs status?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 9 22:49:09 CEST 2003

In message <3EE47B1C.3090601 at intracom.gr> you wrote:

> First of all when you have three copies of the the same thing in different
> directories there's bound to be trouble.

These are three similar files for similar processors, not necessarily
identical copies.

> For example the 8260 & 5xx copies are already slightly out of sync.

Probably because the 5xx is slightly different than the 8260?

> Secondly LEDs are board specific and not cpu specific.

OK, you are right in a way.  In  the  same  way,  the  ethernet  port
configuration  is  board  dependend.  BUt  nevertheless  the ethernet
drivers are specific to  the  ethernet  controllers  as  for  example
provided  by  the MPC8xx or MPC8260 chips, sothe ethernet drivers for
these are in the 8xx resp. 8260 CPU directories.

> It was a coincidence that up to now the LEDs happened to be in cpu ports
> and could be groupped under the cpu directories.

It is not a coincidence.  The  common  fact  is  that  they  all  use
(processor specific) port pins.

> I think it is trivial to abstract the led operations into their respective
> cpu include files for the common case. The existing board config headers
> shouldn't be modified, while allowing other boards to override them.
>
> In this case the status led code would be generic for all configurations
> that support them.

If you have such a patch, please submit it. But please  note  that  I
don't want to add any CPU specific code in the drivers/ directory.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
We call our dog Egypt, because in every room he leaves a pyramid.