[U-Boot-Users] RE: Virtex-II Pro and Instruction Prefetching

Kerl, John John.Kerl at Avnet.com
Mon Jun 16 17:52:52 CEST 2003

1. Wolfgang is correct -- you should fix the SDRAM.

2. Also, though:  the ICCR and DCCR apply when the MMU
is off.  Memory parameters for when the MMU is enabled
is done via the W/I/M/G bits in the TLB entries.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wolfgang Denk [mailto:wd at denx.de]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 6:46 AM
To: Frank Smith
Cc: u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net;
linuxppc-embedded at lists.linuxppc.org
Subject: Re: Virtex-II Pro and Instruction Prefetching

In message <03Jun14.092013adt.7305 at dragon.appliedmicro.ns.ca> you wrote:

> I'm working on getting PPCBoot 2.0.0 and Linux running on a custom
> Virtex-II Pro development board.

May I ask why you  use  PPCBoot  (a  dead  project)  instead  of  the
successor project U-Boot?

> I'm currently encountering problems with my DDR SDRAM controller --

This is a very common problem. Seems 99% of all people who attempt to
port U-Boot see this soner or later.

> it can't seem to handle instruction prefetching yet.  So to sidestep the
> issue for now, I want to configure the 405 so that instructions
> are not prefetched.

Don't. The problem will bit you later again. Solve problems  as  they
appear.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Violence in reality is quite different from theory.
	-- Spock, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5818.4