[U-Boot-Users] Booting Linux from hard drive

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 16 23:32:44 CEST 2003

Dear Mark,

in message <OF2C06A494.5C13BDD5-ON85256D47.0073E4F0-85256D47.0075138E at sita.aero> you wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a method to have U-Boot boot Linux from a hard drive on
> a PowerPC architecture?

You have to adapt the existing IDE/ATA code so it can  talk  to  your
IDE  controller.  Then  you  can use the "diskboot" command to load a
kernel image from a disk partition.

> I'm in the process of completing a port of U-Boot to the Motorola PrPMC800
> which is uses a PowerPC MPC7410 processor.   My goal is to have U-Boot boot
> Linux from a hard drive instead of from flash.  I've just completed the

Works fine on a couple of boards already.

> PCI/IDE support for this.  I thought I could have U-Boot load Lilo or Grub.

What the h*ll do you need lilo or grub for? You got U-Boot!  :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
The sooner our happiness together begins, the longer it will last.
	-- Miramanee, "The Paradise Syndrome", stardate 4842.6