[U-Boot-Users] uploading OS over network instead of u-boot downloading it from a server.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 21 01:01:55 CEST 2003

In message <5.1.1.6.2.20030620153323.0131d640 at corelis.com> you wrote:

> I understood/assumed 128k is for u-boot only.

Right. It boots over the net.

> The idea is to ship the product with small flash which is large enough hold
> u-boot only.

This is OK, works fine in many systems :-)

> It won't be practical (support nightmare!) for us to ask our customers to
> setup a tftp server in order to use our product.

What's so complicated about this? See for example how  Abatron  ships
their  BDI2000s  -  they  include  a free TFTP server on their floppy
disks which is so simple that even a Windoze user can start it.

> However, if the boot loader is capable of receiving the OS image over the
> network, our PC side application can upload the OS and Ram disk image to
> our custom board the first time it connects to it.
>
> Is this not a good idea?

No, it is not. You are trying to re-invent the wheel.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.