[U-Boot-Users] Generic ARM Error with respect to usage of r8 in start.S's.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 24 22:28:31 CEST 2003

In message <FD2AC9A020DDD51194710008C7089B20053D4CAD at dlee17.itg.ti.com> you wrote:

> The u-boot for ARM code defines and uses global data which is not referenced
> using r8 (can be seen by all).  The code as currently generated only uses r8
> to access into the bd_info structure and its members.  As it is, the bd_info

No. All access to the "global data pointer" ("*gd") goes through  r8,
as defined in "include/asm-arm/global_data.h":

#define DECLARE_GLOBAL_DATA_PTR     register gd_t *gd asm ("r8")

> structure is allocated on the C stack in start_armboot(), there is nothing
> special about the sdram which its allocated in.  The structure could have as

As mentioned before, the ARM initialization sequence and  memory  map
do  not  exactly  fit into the U-Boot model as it was intended to be.
The curerent state is a result of  the  port  done  for  the  ARMBoot
project,  but  this  is  a  temporary  state which will be fixed in a
future release.

> Yes the flexibility to do different things is there which is good,
> unfortunately the leaving of expansion hooks which break the existing code
> somewhat defeats its usefulness.

The problem is that we  obviously  missed  the  exception  code  when
chosing r8. If you can, please submit a patch to fix this problem.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
In an organization, each person rises to the level of his own  incom-
petency                                         - The Peter Principle