[U-Boot-Users] uploading OS over network instead of u-boot do wnloading it from a server.

Robert Schwebel robert at schwebel.de
Wed Jun 25 07:16:33 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 02:20:00PM -0700, Brian S. Park wrote:
> It could be integrated to our PC side application which can upload it
> the first time it connects to the target. Integrating TFTP server to
> our application would require it to start before the user powering up
> the target.

It might be a good idea that you explain how your users handle your
board; in which cases is it important that the board is powered on
_before_ the upload program was started?

> With TFTP client approach, I need to set the serverip environmental
> variable to IP of PC with the TFTP server. If I move the controller to
> another room, and found out that the PC with TFTP server is not powered up,
> I need to either change the serverip variable to the new PC I intended to
> use or go back to the other room and power up the PC. :)

Or you can use DHCP/BOOTP to find your host pc (a dhcp server could be
included in the upload program as well). Ok - this might find your
company's DHCP server instead of your upload program, but that could
surely be fixed with some special DHCP option and a small u-boot shell
script which checks for the "correct" magick string.

Robert
   Braunschweiger Str. 79,  31134 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4